Friday, August 20, 2010

Pre-Departure

So, its friday night. Tomorrow is my last day in Plano, and I still don't feel like I'm about to leave. Contrary to my feelings, I will be moving to The Netherlands. Minus visiting Jamaica and Mexico on a cruise, I have never been out of the United States. I've never even been above the Mason-Dixon line. I'm very much a southern girl and this is the only culture I know, but on Sunday night, I will arrive in Maastricht, where I will be living for the next three months. So why am I moving to The Netherlands in the first place? Well, it started last year in my freshman biology class.

I always make a point to go by my teachers office's to get to know them, tell them a little about myself, find out the tricks to doing well in their class, etc. Well, my biology teachers name is Dr. Lisa Baker. I walked into Dr. Bakers office and I began asking her a few questions about class, followed by asking a ew questions about herself, and in turn she asked questions about me. When she found out I was a pre-med student (and a pretty dedicated one), she asked if I had ever heard of the Pre-Med study abroad trip in Maasricht.

Being a freshman, I had no idea, but before I left her office that day she had me ready to pack up and leave that afternoon. A group f fifty students would go to the University of Maastricht. Very few classes would be offered, so everyone would be taking almost all the same classes. She explained that people do amazing in this program because everyone can study with everyone, and all the classes are intertwined so something you learn in one class can help you with another and so on. On top of that we get to travel everywhere in Europe becuase we have 4 day weekends everyweek for the 2 months of school and then we have 3 weeks of solid on your own travel. I would definitely consider myself an adventurous, spontaneous person, so this trip sounded amazing! And on top of that, it was slightly cheaper than Baylor, so I was ready to board the plane.

The next week I had my interview and got into the program! I was so excited, but after that week I didn't hear much about the program. We only had 2 meetings during the school year, and then we would meet at the airport on August 22. The next part of the school year went by fast, and this summer went by even faster(partly because I was working so much to pay for my travel expenses...). I must admit, I haven't thought much about the trip, but tomorrows August 21. It's finally time to board the plane! Time to get excited!!!

I have a history of going on trips and coming back with crazy stories! So this is where I will post them and keep everyone up to date. I'll try to skype as much as possible, but if I can't I'll miss y'all And I'll be back in 90 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment