Wednesday, August 25, 2010

culture shock

i've been here 4 days now and i am still suffering from jet lag (Example: its 2:00 a.m. here and I'm not incredibly tired). But the culture shock is very real. I didn't expect everything to be so different here. I do like it, and I think it's very pretty. I don't mean to sound like a whiny person but getting settled in this country is so incredibly difficult.

On the way over here, I couldn't sleep for more than 20 minutes on the plane. I feel like I watched the diagram of the plane fly for nearly 9 hours. But we arrived and that 9 hour plane trip was followed by a 2 and a half hour bus ride. So on the way, we stopped at burger king/ a very netherland cafe, but a major issue for me over here is you never know whats in your food, or what your food even is. I, of coarse, played it safe and got burger king. There was no salt on the table, but thanks to my dad's thinking ahead, I used the salt he gave me. Thanks dad :) and the rumor about having to pay to go to the bathroom is very true. And I refuse to pay to pee. end of story.

We got to the university that afternoon and moved into our rooms and everything. The room is kinda big here, but I wont plug anything in because the first thing I plugged in, I blew of coarse. After we got slightly settled, the dutch people showed us the local market. Alot of us went to the grocery store first, and I would like to start off with they do have monster! I haven't bought anything. I bought water instead, but as soon as I got back to my room, I realized it was caffinated water. Basically, not being able to speak dutch makes things difficult, even buying water.

I have so many stories to tell alread, but I'm going to stop here for tonight because my roommate just reminded me we have to get up in 4 and a half hours.... so I promise I will tell stories more frequently! But the classload is crazyy!! fun, yes, but intense.

I'll post tomorrow with my first epic story of the trip :) goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you are blogging about your adventures! I love it so far! I can't believe you really have to pay to pee. Insane. I can't wait to read more! Good luck in class:)

    ReplyDelete